Monday, January 21, 2008

Happy Dr. Martin Luther King Day

If you've never read (or better yet, heard) the speeches of Dr. King, you are missing out on some incredible oratory. His "I have a dream" speech is mezmerizing. Here are some of my favorite short quotes:

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
"I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live."
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
"It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important."
"Now, I say to you today my friends, even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: - 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'"
"...And I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land. So I'm happy tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man."
(Edit. That last statment was made by Dr. King on April 3, 1968, the day before he was assissinated. Amazing.)

No comments: